Sunday, July 1, 2007

Excuse me...I take offense...

Ok, so a person I know from high school has a blog, no big deal, that I've been following, and recently she wrote something that so deeply offended me I felt I should post about it. Not that anyone actually reads this, but hey. Here is one of the questions she was asked to answer:

7.) What's the most nerve-racking "close call" you've ever had?

Here is her response:

I dated a guy 5 years my senior in high school for 2 and a half years. When I was approaching the end of my senior year, we started talking about getting married once I graduated. The plan was for me to go to the community college and become some sort of medical tech, and then we'd start having lots and lots of babies. The mere thought of a) being married to him and b) never having gone to college, both scare the begeesis out of me now. I'd be an uneducated stay-at-home mom with a house full of kids, probably living in Spokane. Oui. I'm so glad I dumped his sorry self and lived my life. Had I not, I'd have never met Bryan, and really, the thought of not being married to Bryan scares me more than anything else.

I took the liberty of highlighting the part I found so offensive. I probably took offense because she was describing my life and practically spitting on it. I may not have a degree but I don't consider myself uneducated, yet to listen to her talk not having a degree goes hand in hand with being stupid, or lacking good sense and goals. Maybe I'm reading too much into what she said, maybe she was overly hormonal due to being pregnant, maybe she was making a personal slam at me, who knows. I do know that it is still very upsetting to me. I do live in Spokane, but I CHOSE to move back here, it isn't that crappy of a place, no worse than many places a person could choose to live. I am also a stay-at-home mom to my sweet little boy, what is so bad about that? I CHOOSE to spend all my time and energy on my son, and in return we have to make a few sacrifices, but that was our CHOICE. I don't feel sorry for myself. It was her blog and she is more than entitled to her opinion, it just hurt my feelings that someone was describing my life and couldn't imagine anything more terrible.

1 comment:

Molly said...

I don't blame you for having your feelings hurt, but just remember: you are doing what makes YOU happy and there's NOTHING wrong with that!